Yesterday afternoon,  I returned home from a trip to the Atlantic coast.  One of my first questions to a Mound City resident was, "Did we get any rain in the last week?"  The lady replied that we did not.  However, last night it started to rain a slow drizzle which last off and on all night and most of today.  George Scheill emailed that the refuge has gotten 1.5 inches of rain today.  That is all I can tell Bob Fischer and you  about the conditions here at present.   Some areas northwest of here had as much as five inches of rain.
While birding the Brigantine Forsythe NWR of the east coast I saw a pair of Peregrine falcons occupying a barn owl box high atop some telephone posts in a field suitable for barn owls.  The box was placed there for owls.  I did not meet another birder at that particular refuge to inquire about the use of the box by the peregrines.  The birds were present in the box both days while I was there.  At Pickering beach I observed shorebirds with a birder who spoke frequently about Claudia Wildes.  It was nice to hear what Claudia had said about the different species.  It must have been even nicer to have known her personally.
It is good to be home!  I can't wait to go birding here in the morning.
Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO