It so happens that I have a bluebird trail in Newton County, MO., and another bluebird
trail over in Cherokee County, KS.  Newton had 25 boxes and Cherokee had 30 boxes.

On August 10 I had to leave for Texas for three weeks.  Cherokee County had fledged
92 bluebirds and Newton County 89.  Newton County had one more active nest with four
eggs when I left however.  On my return I found that Newton County's last nest was
successful:  flattened nest with numerous dried fecal sacs indicating the four eggs had
been probably raised successfully.  Final score: Newton scored 4 fledged in the final
minute and won over the favored (more boxes) Cherokee, 93 to 92!  What a game!

Good birding,  Larry H.  Joplin Mo.  Lawrence Herbert  [log in to unmask]