Undaunted by 100 degree temperatures and encouraged by Jean's midday find
yesterday, we made the trek to the Evergreen Sod Farm on Hwy 40 northeast of
Boonville.  Today we found 3 Buff-breasted SP, several swallows (compared to
hundreds last week), some Horned Larks and dozens of Killdeer.  We did not find the
Upland SP.

Today's puddles are on the right side of the road through the sod farm, just
before the yellow/orange tank (on the left side of the road).  Most of the
birds, including 2 of the Buffies, were in the puddles, going back and forth
between the puddles and the adjacent strip of grass, and sometimes the dirt beyond
the grass.  The third Buffie was on the left of the road in one of the
depressions made by the tires of irrigation machines. While we watched, 2 of the
Buffies flew toward the corn field (south, far right).  Hopefully, they will come
back for the water.

Joyce Bathke
Columbia, Boone County