We continue to hear a number of Barred Owls almost daily.   I believe we
have a firm resident population and they seem to have remained constant
for the last three to five years.  I don't believe West Nile had any
effect on them in our area  (however we treated a horse for the illness
in September of last year).   Surprisingly  we did hear a screech owl at
dusk just this week.  My husband commented that it is the first one he
has heard for several years.  I believe the Barred Owls have been
successful in this particular river bluff valley.

Connie Thompson
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County