Last night, this morning we heard 4 different Barred Owls from our window.
Each one was trying to out-hoot the next. Very entertaining. (And such
entertainment would work just as well if we lost electric power!)

A few years ago I heard five different Great Horned Owls from our yard. I
have not heard a GH Owl or a Screech Owl this year (two very odd "holes" in
my annual list).

I speculate that West Nile is to blame. Although I hear fewer Barred Owls
than usual now, I hear some every week. Are MOBIRDers generally having
similar experiences?

Tom Fuller

Dr. Thomas H. Fuller, Jr.
Unit Head, Math and Natural Sciences