To all of those who have been discussing shorebird habitat -- Let me point
out that Paul Bauer, well known to everyone in ASM, has been trying for
years to interest someone (MO Dept. of Conservation at Marais Temp Claire,
Busch CA,, Corps of Engineers at Riverlands, etc.) in managing habitat for
shorebirds and has detailed figures, schedules and directions for
controlling the mudflats for optimum habitat. In 1992 Paul almost had the
Corps' approval for controlled shorebird habitat at Riverlands -- and then
the floods of '93 wiped everything out. Since that time I think that the
navigation interests in the Corps have gained control of the budget and
they are less (not) interested in shorebirds. Riverlands is an ideal
location for shorebird habitat management since the water flow drawn from
upstream of the Alton dam is easily controlled through the prairie sloughs
south of the access road.

Although the Busch CA boasts two shorebird reservoirs, they have never been
adequately managed for shorebird habitat and few shorebirds are found
there. I have been told that when the "shorebird" reservoirs were prepared,
at some great expense, the Conservation Dept. agents at Bush were under the
impression that shorebirds were waterfowl (ducks). Moral -- there is much
confusion about what shorebirds are and what habitat they need.

Paul Bauer's email address is [log in to unmask] His mail address and
phone number is in the Bluebird. His data will be of value to anyone who is
interested in working with refuge managers for shorebird habitat.

Jim Holsen, Kirkwood (St. Louis County)