I would like to extend my apologies to Steve for flooding his mailbox with non-solicted email and give a hearty round of applause to those who have sent such thoughtful and well-written emails regarding Squaw Creek conditions. Also, I'm not writing this to support or defend either point of view regarding the issue of habitat maintenance (although I am definitely in favor of it.)

Perhaps there is another list serve for those who wish to discuss habitat. I don't know. But I subscribe to this service for discussions such as this one. Why? Because if we aren't discussing and supporting wildlife habitat who should?

I love looking at birds. I will never be a really fine birder because I don't have the passion for learning the fine nuances that allow a birder to discern one sparrow from another (and so on!) I DO have a passion, though, for talking about birds and bird watching. Periodically, I speak to service clubs in my areas about birding. Beyond a discussion about optics and which books to buy, I talk about WHY it's important birding is important. When someone asks me about habitat I like to give good answers and I learn SO MUCH from reading your posts. It's important to engage in the discussion that's been ebbing and flowing on Squaw Creek. Please don't take it off-line.

To the young man who apologized for asking people on this list serve to email him about Dartmouth and Cornell, speaking as a college instructor, I hope he gets 100 responses. I'm glad he asked us.

stevewr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
gentlemen...
where appropriate/desirable, please respond directly to the individual
posting the message as opposed to the list to avoid flooding everyone's
mail boxes with non solicited mail.
many thanks,
steve