I took a walk in the woods late this morning on the north side of the bike
trail at Watkins Mill SP. Summer residents were fairly active and moving around
in large groups--also easy to see because of the almost nonexistent ground
cover (I haven't seen it so thin this time of year). Nothing terribly unusual,
but highlights included:

Acadian Flycatcher (4) -- Two adults feeding two nearly-fledged young, still
in nest
Kentucky Warbler (10+ over 1/2 mile) -- Unusually large concentration of them
from my experience in this area, they seemed to be everywhere; Sightings
included a scolding female with brood patch.
Northern Parula (1 juvie)

Also of note... not a single singing Indigo Bunting.

And I'll also add, for anyone keeping notes on cowbirds: Several weeks ago I
ran across a Wood Thrush tending to four young cowbirds near the campgrounds
at Watkins Mill. I was not aware that cowbirds laid multiple eggs in a single
nest. And on Tuesday I found a pair of adult Chipping Sparrows feeding their
two fledged Chipping Sparrow young, as well as one cowbird.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)