This is a plug.  I do not have a financial interest in Swarovski; I will
not gain from this plug.

In early 1999, I bought a pair of 8X30 WB Swarovski binoculars in
anticipation of a 3-week trip to Attu.  They were expensive, by my
standards, especially with the Attu trip to pay for.

A year later, I fell over my own feet and a crack in the Pope's
sidewalk.  Result was a broken ankle and a severely bent focus mechanism
(on the binocs, not me).  The former is a story on its own, but I fixed
the focus wheel, temporarily, with a fruit knife.

As soon as I was back home I sent the binocs to Swarovski's Rhode Island
repair shop (after all, I was slowed up a bit anyway by the ankle.)  In
less than 3 weeks, they were back, basically as good as new--and at no
cost other than the shipping from my end.

This year, the 4-year old binocs developed a loose left eyepiece, a
definite annoyance during the Alaska trip.  Home again, I called the
folks in Rhode Island and sent them off (the binocs, not the folks).

And then I fretted.  Went to NY and back using old binocs--half the
birds flew before I could focus.  Home.  Fretted some more.  Hope to
leave on a trip.  No binocs.

Yesterday, nearly four weeks from when I packed and patted  them gently,
they came back.
WOW!

The center rod has been realigned.  There are two new eyepieces.  The
entire outer casing--everything you see on binoculars but the
lenses--has been replaced.  I have an essentially all new pair of
binoculars.  I even checked the serial number to be sure they were mine!

AT NO CHARGE.

If you are considering a new piece of optical equipment, factor in
potential repairs when you consider the price.

My binoculars have been a bargain!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO