Since the oxbows around St. Joseph have mostly all dried up I am having to go farther afield.  Today I ventured up to Nodaway Valley CA north of Fillmore, Missouri.  I began on the east side of the area.  They do pump water into the wetlands area from the Nodaway River which runs through the middle of the area.  Great Egrets, Great Blue Herons and Green Herons were numerous.  There is some mudflat habitat but it is not extensive.  Shorebirds seen were:  Pectoral, Least, Solitary, Spotted and (one) Baird's Sandpiper.  I saw one Great-tailed Grackle and four Forster's Terns.  I drove west from "The Sanctuary" (so marked) toward the Nodaway River.  As I turned to go north, paralleling the Nodaway River Levy I noticed two small goose-like birds flying low overhead.  They had long necks, feet trailing...flew west over the levy and river in the direction of the west portion of the conservation area.  I drove over to the west side (which is several miles) and attempted to locate these two birds.  I could not find them!  I believe they MAY have been Black-bellied Whistling Ducks.  I am a little reluctant to report this as I only saw them for about ten seconds and the light was not good.  But perhaps they were the elusive BBWD some have been attempting to see.  Over on the west side of the area I did get Vesper Sparrow, American Coot, a few more shorebirds, herons, pheasants and quail.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan Co.