This note from your friendly, somewhat frustrated bird alert compiler.

1.  I haven't a clue as to where the Yellow-headed Blackbirds have been
hanging out at Squaw Creek.

2.  Tommie Rogers, Joyce Bathke and I had a conversation with the
manager of a very large hunk of private land adjacent to the refuge
early this summer.  It is operated similarly to a duck hunting club.  We
mentioned the spring sightings of the BBWDs.  He responded that he had
seen them (2 birds) on the private property the summer of 2002.

3.  As Bob Fisher noted, we are faced with thousands of acres of
excellent habitat for hiding ducks.  Unless these birds pick an area to
lounge around in that is easily visible to birders who then enjoy them
and do not approach too closely so the birds stay put, most of us are
unlikely to see these two.

Edge Wade
Missouri Bird Alert compiler