this was on the Okla bird list and I have never seen it on the Mo or Ks
list.

Norma Zier
Indep MO

Dear Associate,

The  Chimney  Swift  nesting season is drawing to a close, and the
roosting
flocks  have begun to congregate.  Once again this year we are going to
try
to raise awareness of Chimney Swifts and Vaux's Swifts by holding our
third
annual Swift Night Out.

In  2003,  we  will  have  two  Swifts  Nights  Out to accommodate our
more
northern  contributors.   The first event will be on August 15, 16 and
17 .
This  is a little early for many USA roosts, but it can be a great
scouting
event  in preparation of the final event in September.  The main event
will
be held the weekend after Labor Day:  September 5, 6 and 7.

We propose that over the next couple of weeks you locate a Chimney Swift
or
Vaux's Swift roost in your area.  A roost is a location where swifts
gather
at  dusk  to spend the night.  Then on one night over the weekend of
August
15,  16  and  17 , you observe the roost at dusk and estimate the number
of
swifts  that  enter.   When  you  have  your  number,  contact us with
your
results.   We  will set up a page on our web site to compile the results
as
they  come  in.    You  may  send  in  your results by email, fax, phone
or
regular   mail   -   we   will  continue  to  update  the  results
through
mid-September.  Here are the contact numbers:

Email:  [log in to unmask]

Fax             or             phone:             (512)
266-3861
U.S.          Mail:          Driftwood         Wildlife
Association
            1206           West          38th,          Suite
1105
            Austin,                       Texas
78705

Along with the number of swifts counted, please include your city and
state
or  province  and the date that you observed the roost.  If you provide
the
exact  location  of  the  roost that you monitor, we will also include
that
information in the results.

If you are a member of a local bird club, outdoor group, Audubon chapter
or
any  other  organization  that might be interested in participating,
please
ask  them  to  pass  this  information  along to their membership. For
more
information and to see the results from previous years, go to:

http://www.concentric.net/~Dwa/page68.html

Thank  you for your support of Chimney Swift conservation.  We look
forward
to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Paul and Georgean