    Hi folks, last weekend I finally got the chance to do a little exploring
around Newton Co.  The highlight was seeing 3 Black Vultures soaring with a
group of Turkey Vultures above Buffalo Creek in the far southern part of the
county.  I also had a mixed group of herons at a bridge crossing in this same
area, that included a number of Little Blues in various stages of plumage, Snowy,
Great, and Cattle Egrets, and single Great Blue and Green Herons nearby.  I
also saw more Blue Grosbeaks than I've ever seen, in a single day, before.  I
found some very promising habitat, including a large stand of pines, and hope
to find more time to check these areas out more, but thats not likely, with
school starting back up in a couple of weeks.

Dave Henness
Joplin