I recently visited a sister in Minneapolis and took the opportunity to see
"Winged Migration".  I knew ahead of time that there was very little
narration - so I just sat back and enjoyed the spectacular film!  Since it
is a French producer, many of the birds are European (some I may never have
the opportunity to see) although you will recognize some of our North
Americans species.  I particularly enjoyed the courtship displays of the
Cranes; when the tiny little downy seabird took his first step off the sea
cliff; the long shot of what had to be hundreds of thousands of penguins on
the hillside.  I was AMAZED to see the strength and muscle movement of the
birds in flight!

To really enjoy the film, I think you have to know going in that this film
is not about providing a scientific explanation of bird migration (there is
no narration to do that) - to me, it is really about enjoying the pure
beauty of birds and the kind of "mystic" of their almost human-like
interactions with each other.  I think I agree with one reviewer who said
something like, if you want to LEARN about birds then watch David
Attenbourgh's videos on "Life of Birds" but if you just want to enjoy them,
then watch "Winged Migration".

That being said, now the commercial.  Columbia Audubon Society is sponsoring
a showing of Winged Migration, Wednesday, August 27, Missouri Theatre on S.
Ninth Street in Columbia.  We are doing this as a community event (not a
fundraiser) to raise awareness of birds and to encourage membership in CAS.
The film starts at 8p.  Beginning at 7p in the foyer, we will have a photo
exhibit by local artists of birds that can be seen in Missouri -- we are
grouping those photos by habitat (i.e. grassland birds, wetland birds, etc.)
and then will have maps, etc. on "birding hotspots" in the local area that
feature that habitat.  Steve Heying will be there with his birds of prey;
and Ralph Duren will be on stage demonstrating bird and other animal calls.
Feel free to join us - tickets can be purchased at the theatre, $7 for
adults, $5 for children.

For more information, you can contact me.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County