Subject: Roadside Rest effect
From: Richard Carlson <rccarl AT PACBELL.NET>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:00:14 -0700

An unfortunate result of modern birding is the concentration of birders
at a
few locations.  Roadside Rest near Patagonia AZ is a classic example of
this.  It's a reststop where a Rose-throated Becard was first seen
decades
ago.  Ever since, EVERYONE stops there.  The Becard is there once again,
after a 5 year hiatus.

The problem is that other places are under-birded and under-reported.
There
should be a requirement that everyone try and report a new birding spot
once
a month or we'll never learn anything new.