Most of the grass planted on levees and roadsides at the wetland areas is
switchgrass. This is a native, warm-season grass that would be set back by
repeated summer mowing. As recently as 15-20 years ago, reed canarygrass
was the preferred grass to plant on levees at state conservation areas.
This is a non-native, aggressive grass that invades the wetland edge and
outcompetes native plants. I would imagine also, in these times of tight
budgets, that foregoing regular mowing saves money.

Nonetheless, have you tried asking the area manager if some of the areas
might be mowed to improve visibility?

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau