THANKS to all that responded to my RFI concerning shorebird habitat in the
St. Louis area. There just does not seem to be very much this year. Either
there is too much water (REDA) or not enough. :-P

I drove around to numerous spots (mostly on the IL side) and found very
little shorebird habitat......

Monroe co., ILLINOIS Levee area
- Moredock Lake - too much water, but then I was told I did not go far
enough past the RR tracks
- Fountain, IL - one large-ish pool on Bluff road just south of town but had
too much water.
- Kidd Lake- DRY, DRY, DRY
- Road on top of levee - flourishing crops planted on the Miss Side of
levee. Only a few pools of water with only herons at them or obscured from
view. NOT a single shorebird seen, not even a killdeer.
BTW (by the way), being able to drive the levee road is difficult due to all
the "Private Road" sides and/or obstacles/fences across the road. My
understanding after talking to Corp personnel,  the farmers are NOT suppose
to be doing this, but then again to avoid an "incident" use your better
judgement remembering a man was found not guilty after running over a female
bicyclist and it was not accidental  ........ ALLEGEDLY.
Have also seen hate slogans towards bicyclists on a building in Valmeyer, so
I am guessing they don't "cotton to city folk" much down there.

Birdwise, on the levee road, I found a WESTERN KINGBIRD near Fort de Chartes
along the fencing about where Dan K had a S-T flycatcher a few years ago.
Lots of flycatching birds along this fencing (several E.kingbirds and a
phoebe)

Horseshoe Lake seems to be the only large attraction for shorebirds right
now.
Oh well.

Later,
Charlene Malone