First the apology - Sorry for misreading Patrick's msg. D'oh.
That's what I get for reading and responding to e-mail before I am
adequately caffeinated.

Secondly, in the spirit of "birding somewhere new" each month and bound and
determined to find Buffies on the MO side, I hit the sod farms along Hwy 79
in St. Charles county.

Emerald View Turf Farms (along Hwy 79 just a few tenths of a mile south from
the Junction of Hwy "M" and Hwy 79)
- several Killdeer
- a few meadowlarks
- horned larks
- one UPLAND SANDPIPER - first seen from along Hwy 79. It was in the back
sod field behind a soy bean field. To get a better and safer look, I went
down Peruque (sp?) Creek Road that runs along the side of the fields. Got a
good look at the bird before it was chased away by one of the tractors. This
is only the SECOND Upland I have seen in the St. Louis area and the FIRST
that I have found myself. (well maybe third bird I have seen.......Think I
saw one at the HSL boat ramp yesterday, but that was in IL)
Don't think this bird is reproducible, BUT it is a good spot to check ever
so often.

NOTE: They are watering there, so many birds were coming to the damp fields.
Think better viewing would be in the evening or early AM. Please note that
the traffic on Hwy 79 is bad to horrible (too heavy of traffic, too fast and
too aggressive drivers), so PLEASE be careful! Would be better after rush
hour I am sure.

I looked at the sod farms farther north too, near Winfield, etc and did not
find much at all except Killdeer. Fields were dry and only where they were
watering was there any bird action.

Failed at finding Buffies. Oh well.
Hey, don't Buffies like the stripped dirt areas better than the grass
covered areas ?

Has anyone ever looked at the sod farms along MO Bottom Road near Earth
City?
Another place to look maybe?

Later,
Charlene Malone