I too use the four letter abbreviations to enter records into my birding
database.

On the road, Rhonda and I use the abbrev's. to call out the birds we see.
This makes for humorous, albeit, often juvenile conversation. Some abbrev's.
lend themselves to pronunciation readily, while others twist the tongue.

In the end, regarding this thread, I think that as long as the Full Name of
the bird is used before its abbreviation, little harm is done while some
education is.

Just My Opinion...

Patrick

Patrick Harrison                     *