From: "R. Bradley Jacobs" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: COMAL and swans
Date: Wed, Jul 9, 2003, 11:07 AM

The MO Bird Records Committee has tossed this topic around several times
to date. As a result of the discussions going on here on MoBirds-l, the
MBRC will discuss it at the Fall ASM meeting to help resolve the issue.
The way the MBRC dealt with this in the past is a little complicated,
but here goes. You will note that the SR* status on the ASM checklist
indicates that it has been extirpated, and the [WR] is a hypothetical.
So, simple sightings of birds shouldn't be counted, unless you can
establish that the individual has been part of a population (either
restored or natural) for at least 10 years. The only way to do that
would be to read the neck collar and pursue the provenance of that
individual and its population's history. This can be done, but it is
probably not the way to do business anymore. It has become clear that
Trumpeters are likely here to stay and will continue to expand their
populations. In fact, I just received a report today of two red-collared
TSs near Blue Mound. Red collars are Iowa program birds. Several have
been hanging around in the winter, perhaps they decided to stay through
the summer, and perhaps they might even have attempted nesting (purely
speculative on my part.)
So, the MBRC will attempt to resolve the checklist or listing problem
for this species in September.

Brad

>>> Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]> 07/08/03 10:02PM >>>
Trumpeter Swan is on the Missouri Checklist, so it's a countable
species in
this state. Alas! It may be necessary to hold your nose while you do
it,
because most of the Trumpeter Swans that we see here have not been wild
for
more than one generation, if that. If you see a Trumpeter Swan with a
band
and/or a neck collar, whether to include it in COMAL is arguable either
way.
I don't take COMAL that seriously, so I include them.

Mute Swan is only on the Missouri hypothetical list. Most, if not all,
Mute
Swans that show up in Missouri are of domestic origin and probably
should
not be counted for COMAL, even if birds on the Missouri hypothetical
list
are "countable" for COMAL purposes. (They are not "countable" in
Missouri
for ABA purposes). I did once see an unbanded, free flying bird of the
year
in late fall at Smithville Lake, which could well have strayed from one
of
the feral populations around the Great Lakes. The species is expanding
its
range, to the consternation of many. However, I doubt if the MBRC will
give
it full status in the near future. It is very difficult to prove that a
bird
is from a wild population when there are so many tame ones around. The
strong presumption is that any Mute Swan seen in Missouri is of
domestic
origin.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri