I just read the article in the New England Journal of Medicine titled
COMPARATIVE EFFICACY OF INSECT REPELLENTS AGAINST MOSQUITO BITES by MARK S.
FRADIN, M.D., AND JOHN F. DAY, PH.D., and I thought I would throw in my 2
cents.  Unquestionably DEET protected subjects in the lab from bites longer
(301.5  37.6 minutes) than any other substance tested.  However, Bite
Blocker for Kids lasted 94.6  42.0 minutes.  It is soybean oil based, and
would probably last long enough for me on most outings.  The new products
that contain oil of eucalyptus repelled the blood suckers for 120.1  44.8
minutes.  If you don't want to use DEET - for whatever reason - those look
like promising options.

Happy Summer,
dt

C. Diane True

All of life's big problems include the words "indictment" or "inoperable."
Everything else is small stuff. - Alton Brown