On June 27, 2003, I received a report of a large white "heron" like bird
that was white with black wing tips. It was in the field near the
Johnson's estate on WW highway about 3 miles east of US 63 in Boone
County.  It was suggested that it looked like a whooping crane. It
seemed about the size of or larger than the Great Blue that frequents
that pond.

I went within an hour of the report and found nothing. In a followup
conversation it appears that the bird flem north over the field and out
of sight over the hill by the house.

With the later sightings of a pinkish bird and the spatulate bill,
along with the general white-ness of the bird, and the problem that
white birds appear larger that darker colored birds, it sounds like the
logical id for this bird is a first year Roseate Spoonbill. It doesn't
seem to have stayed around in the area very long. Sounds like it is time
to check all the wetlands in the central Missouri region and see where
it went.

Brad

Brad Jacobs
PO Box 180
Jefferson City, MO  65102
(573) 751-4115  Ext.3648

>>> Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]> 06/30/03 05:16PM >>>
I would say it is VERY POSSIBLE....One was in Illinois
all last week (not sure if it is still being seen)and
one was observed in Kansas yesterday....so why NOT
Missouri.  I hope someone will try to verify this (I
believe many a few of the Columbia birders are on an
Alaskan trip?)

Josh Uffman
St. Louis County,MO

--- Emily Steffans <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I was driving east on Broadway in Columbia - 3 miles
> past 63/70, near
> Johnson's Grove (a large Tara type house) and saw a
> large (smaller than
> a heron, more chubby) bird, whitish-pinkish/reddish
> with a very strange
> bill.  It looked almost curved, like a circle, at
> the end.
> I called my husband and described it and he came up
> with the same id I
> did - a roseate spoonbill.  ????  Could that be
> possible?  It was by
> itself next to the pond by the large house.
> Help!

=====
Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO