I am not the best at distance estimates, but the birds are maybe 75 yards
out. You can see them with bins if one of the birds will sit up on a raised
part of this area, but usually they are hanging out among the rice and only
the head is visible (if they choose to stick it up. This happens when they
are wary). To get the BEST looks bring a scope (!!). Much better views can
be obtained.
(Think maybe there is a barren, flooded part of the field where the birds
are hanging out, but just guessing, because the rice obscures most of the
view. AND this area can NOT be accessed legally.)

As far as directions. Think Josh's are OK. They got us there fine.
Bring a map of MO, It will help because there is construction going on along
the interstate as you are approaching Cape Girardeau.
IF I have time, I can look over the directions and post a directionally
challenged version (ones if I can understand them, then EVERYONE can) but
NOT promising anything. .........Too much going on right now.

Joe Eades also found FALL (?) shorebirds returning in the area. More later.

Later,
Charlene Malone
Chesterfield, MO