Patrick's directions are excellent.
His suggestions as to timing certainly comply with s.o.p.  However, true to my
mantra and guiding principle that, "A bird up at dawn is still up at noon...",
we did not leave Columbia until 11 a.m. yesterday.  We were at Prairie Slough
abut 2:30.
The King Rail was calling (the call that resembles two quarters being banged
together) about 10 feet from the road at the marsh that is on both sides of the
road.  We sat in the pull-in for the restroom and listened; pulled forward about
15 feet and had a clear view.

Oddly, the bird seemed to call the most when an engine (ours and a pick-up) was
opposite it on the road.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO