The truth is supra-rational and requires faith. If you think about it long enough, anyone has presuppositions that they operate upon in the rest of life. There must be a correct presupposition, right?
Enjoy Florida!

Cheers,
Will

In a message dated 6/28/03 9:07:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Peter Montgomery wrote:

>That tends to be a result of the weakness of placing one's faith in
>logic. Even Spock acknowledged the weakness eventually. :)

Huh? Logic is merely a tool, used as much by xtians as by any other
group. I've been an atheist by birthright more than merit for about 60
years, and I've never set up "logic" as the opposite of faith. This
either/or you set up strikes me as a real strawman.

Carrol

I don't think Carol gets the reference; or perhaps he associates the power of the Federation with the power of America.  In any case, for many years, Spock adhered to the theory that logic alone should determine which decision to make or what action to take, and that all conclusions must be based on logic.  Through experience, he realized that his theory was flawed; he learned that the best way to live life was with logic combined with understanding and intuition and awareness.
Is Christianity logical?  Hardly.  Why not?  Let's see.  A woman becomes pregnant without having sexual intercourse (perhaps someone then knew about artificial insemination)?  Wine is turned into water (sounds great, though)?  A man is murdered and then comes back to life?  A lot of people living in Europe and North and South America worship a dead Jewish Israeli man and his mother, his 12 dead Israeli Jewish friends and a dead Jewish Italian guy?
Logical?  Hardly.  There's certainly a lot of imagination and feeling involved in Christianity, but I don't believe sufficient logic, not even for Spock in his later years.

Regards from Paradise Florida,

Kate