Hey Will,

Thank you so for your explanation. In truth, I had imagined the right meanings to those words, but I wrote down the oddest on the post, just to lead to the simplest explanation.
Yours was perfect -- you know, when translating into Italian, I must needs know what 'fuel' means precisely, because we do not have such a generic term as that to define the same concept.
Eliot hasn't been much translated here, except for the Waste Land and maybe Prufrock. And the concepts he expresses are too complicated to ever allow even the slightest mistake. We do not have any terms for 'lot' as land with no houses on it, for instance.
Furthermore, bilingual dictionaries are no good about poetical terms, and it's almost one hundred years since Eliot wrote Preludes -- so his English might be considered 'old', by now.
Anyway, thanks again!

Cheers,
Sara