Hello everybody!

I am not new to the list. I stopped receiving it for some time, but it's good to be back.

I have been trying to translate some of Eliot's poem into Italian, but I've been having some troubles with Preludes.
Particularly with the last line -- 'gathering fuel in vacant lots'. I don't have troubles with understanding the poem as a whole, but more simply with understanding what 'fuel' stands for (I suppose it's not that thing you put into a car...) and what 'lots' means. Another 'lots' is used about the newspapers, but that should be the same as 'box' or something that contains them, anyway.
I need the English terms to be totally clear to me to be able to tranlsate them into Italian.
So, thanks to whoever can explain that to me.

Cheers --
Sara