Date: Sunday, June 22, 2003 4:49:54 PM
Subject: Re: OT Anti-human

by the way, i think i found the web page you did your 'research' on.
anyone who is following this should take a look, it's pretty funny

http://www.strategypage.com/messageboards/messages/89-2627.asp

even the economist story you quoted is there *lol*

just because Israels resolutions don't fall under chapter 7 doesn't mean
it's more of a threat. They have nuclear weapons! It should be clear,
even to you that if anyone tried to push for a chapter 7 resolution against
Israel then the US would Veto it.

also :

""Although the U.N. Charter authorizes military action for enforcement of
Chapter 7 resolutions, there is no formal agreement about how force should
be used. Each time the Security Council deems military action necessary,
its
member states must decide the details among themselves -- an often
time-consuming process, with varying degrees of commitment.""

from:
http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pen-l/2002w42/msg00097.htm

"UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, however, said this week that such action
[invasion of iraq] would violate the UN Charter. The charter permits the
use of force only in cases of self-defense or under authority of the UN
Security Council. "

from
http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2003/03/14032003153113.asp

"the US threatened to use its veto to prevent a Security Council resolution
to send international forces to protect the Palestinian people.

Similarly, it brandished its veto to forestall a resolution to send an
international investigatory commission to Jenin, forcing the Security
Council to adopt, instead, resolution 1405, creating a mere "fact-finding"
committee whose remit will extend only to the making of recommendations
rather than instigate further actions based on its findings. "
from:
http://www.sis.gov.eg/online/note/html/n270422a.htm

something else yuo might like to note is that Chapter 7 can still be invoke
in an attempt to punish Israel for it's crimes against humanity:

"writer Charles Krauthammer wrote, " the one advantage of resolution
1441 is that it gave us a window of legitimacy during which to mobilize,
position equipment, send ships, line up bases, in short, create the
infrastructure for disarming Iraq." I agree with Krauthammer, and add that
when Ariel Sharon's forces entered Gaza, January 27, 2003, killing
Palestinian civilians and destroying property, the same window of
legitimacy was created for the disarmament, and containment of
Israel...Chapter 7 of the UN Charter dealing with enforcement measures,
Article 39, says: The Security Council shall determine the existence of any
threat to peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression and shall take
recommendations, or decide what measures shall be taken in accordance with
Articles 41 and 42, to maintain or restore international peace and
security."

from:
http://www.mediamonitors.net/anisaabdelfattah38.html

I'll be looking forward to your reply.