Russell,

What's flawed about your argument is that you assume that because I said
hooray for a dead or deposed Saddam and an end to his acts, that I supported
decisions NOT to do this sooner.  Let's not forget the noise Bush senior's
opponents made near the end of the first Gulf War when speculation began
about whether or not to go after Saddam.  He knuckled.  Too bad.

But I have no interest in defending past wrongs, only in perpetuating
present rights.

You rightly but I'd guess flippantly toss out Zimbabwe, North Korea, Burma
and I'd add a few more African countries suffering awfully.  So, I'm puzzled
  Your argument is that because I think fewer mass graves will be
perpetuated in Iraq now -- and that that isa good thing -- that I must not
support some type of action against similarly corrupt regimes?  Not only do
you invoke the actions of other senates and other administrations (I could
as well ask why it is not pre-emptive when Clinton lobs patriot missiles
into foreign countries without so much as a peep from his constituents or
his party), but you assume I think that two wrongs deserve a third.

And Afghanistan?  At least allow that such things take time, much less time
than France has spent in Ivory Coast . . . but more than a year.  Besides,
had they turned over one man, they could have continued to "prosper" under
your utopian view of their former conditions.  I'm sure women being allowed
to go to school ranks as a lightweight accomplishemnt that followed.  And
again, I don't care that this was not a primary motivator of our forces.

Finally, war is always an evil act; unfortunatly it is sometimes the lesser
of two.  Placating Afghanistan or Saddam, be it by "containment" or by
financial support, cost far more lives than did action.  Again, when the
body count for your solution is higher than mine, I'm left baffled at your
maintenance of your position.  The only "ends justifying the means" going on
here must be by people other than me.  Our inteligence capabilities will be
and certainly are suspect for their inability to readily produce the damning
WMDs; but once I found out about Saddam's using chemical weapons on the
Kurds as test subjects, I wanted him dead.

Your support for inaction -- and "containment" is just such a non-action --
allows such a man to prosper, to do it again should he wish.  If he can hide
chemical plants in semi trailers, he can hide genocide.

I'm absolutely baffled that anyone can not simply breathe a sigh of relief
on his ousting, and acknowledge that while war is not good, good may prosper
more freely now for millions.  Angry about the possible myth of WMDs?  Fine;
attack.  Angry about our inaction regarding other countries?  Ditto.  But
you're never going to get consistency from constantly changing
administrations in a constantly changing world.

And, of course, something tells me that should the US set military sights on
Zimbabwe or North Korea, you'd be loud among the detractors.  Let's not be
disingenuous, shall we?

Justin