Gunnar says:

you are saying might be used as an apt metaphor for may ways of human
existence, small and large. I'm thinking of the madness  presently going on
in Palestine and Israel. Just a thought.

absolutely
-- Thanks to Nancy for the proper dates -- didn't have my big book of eliot facts handy.  That, of course, takes down my Irish argument and places things more probably in America (and before WWI as well) though I would be interested to know how and if the poems changed in the 6 years between creation and publication (falls the shadow) --
and I think that's what Eliot is striving for -- the inevitable relationship of the self and the other that is what humanity must deal with whether it is man and woman or Israel and Palestine -- and what makes his poetry so relavant even today.
Michael