While I wrote that it appeared that the movie was making a connection between
homosexuality and depression, I don't think the point was that homosexuals in
society suffer from depression more than others.  I believe that because of
the way homosexuals are viewed and treated in society, especially in Virginia
Woolfe's time and in the 1950's when the Moore character lived, depression may
have hit them harder because of the futility they felt and would always feel
because of the intolerance of those societies towards homosexuality.  Their
whole lives were lies and they couldn't change it, not without dire consequences;
they weren't free to pursue happiness.  In cases such as these, I believe
that long term depression may occur to such persons even to healthy persons with
no chemical imbalances or other physical problems.  But, of course, even in
Virginia's time, there were homosexuals who managed to live basically happy,
healthy, lives.