George Carless wrote:

> Kate wrote:
>
> > that she did suffer from Schizophrenia as well as depression at times, the
> > latter probably the result of the deep love she felt for her husband being at
>
> Depression isn't particularly "caused" by anything (although stress etc.
> can trigger it).  It is a medical illness, and it's very simplistic to
> suggest that depression could be the direct result of "deep love" or
> homosexuality or anything much else.
>
> Just thought that should be pointed out..

She did _not_ suffer from schizophrenia (in fact many actual diagnoses
of schizophrenia have been changed retrospectively to another disorder).
She suffered from bipolar  affective disorder ("manic depression"). Some
sufferers from that _also_ have difficulty with hallucinations. (There
is a disorder called schizoid affective disorder -- I don't know much
about it, but many patients first diagnosed with schizophrenia later
have the diagnosis changed to schizoid affective.)

I know many people who suffer from bipolar. For most of them (though not
all) it is the periods of depression rather than the "manic" phases
which interfere most with their life. For bipolar (but not for unipolar)
a strong genetic element has been pretty conclusively established. Many
(but by no means all) cases of depression do stem from child abuse
(physical, emotional, sexual). Lithium is often (not always) an
extremely effective treatment for bipolar. There are also other "mood
stabilizers" that have fewer side effects than lithium.

If one does even a little reading in competent sources on mental
illnesses one soon learns that most of what has been learned has been
learned in the last 20 years -- and we still don't know much.

Carrol

P.S. There is a slight correlation between bipolar disorder and
creativity. That is, among creative people the incidence of bipolar is
slightly higher than among the population as a whole. Presumably Van
Gogh suffered from bipolar.

The English poet William Cowper also suffered from bipolar. He had the
additional weight of being a calvinist and believing that despair was
certain proof of reprobation. See his hair=raising poem, "The
Cast-Away."