In a message dated 6/30/03 10:24:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I thought the film very uneven largely because the portrayal of Woolf as a
> dreary depressive does not fit anything I know of her.  I realize it is only
> day in her life--and she might well have spent many depressive days--but it
> opens and closes with her suicide, as if her whole life were moving toward
> that.  She was often ill, but nothing in her writing is simply depressive.
> Quite the contrary--it is intensely aware and joyous much of the time.
> Nancy

I, too, believe that Virginia was a more "fun" person than the movie
portrayed. I've read her Letters and imagined from them a vibrant woman who liked to
socialize, who liked to gossip, who was interested in what was happening in the
world.  However, she was also a very disbursed person at times.  It's obvious
that she did suffer from Schizophrenia as well as depression at times, the
latter probably the result of the deep love she felt for her husband being at
odds with her sexuality. And this was really the main premise of the movie. All
three women characters had this same inner conflict, which resulted in
depression, but then was the writer trying to say that there is a connection between
being homosexual and being depressed?
As the movie did portray the last day of her life, the day on which she
committed suicide (the voices had returned), the portrayal in retropspect may have
been somewhat accurate.  The movie, for those who haven't seen it, was indeed
compelling and the merging of the stories quite clever.

Regards,

Kate