Jennifer Formichelli wrote:

> Dear Carrol,
>

> It is curious to me that you put the woman (and mistake her for another
> kind of woman) where Eliot does not.
>
> Yours, Jennifer

Simple, my memory was bad and I was typing fast off the top of my head.
I did remember about 1 minute after clicking the send button that they
were housemaids. But the post is still accurate in principle when the
necessary factual corrections have been made. I'm lucky I didn't make
more errors on it.

Women, & their souls were damp. (And I presume would have been equally
damp had they been swinging upside down from the clothesline rather than
sprouting. :-)

Substituting hanging for sprouting is a more unfortunate memory lapse
than housewives for housemaids.

And memory is one thing perception another. (Though recent neurology
advances have shown they have closer relations in the brain than was
realized.) He could be aware of the _souls_ of housemaidS --  I doubt
that at the time (in the poem) he was peceiving any.

Carrol

Carrol