Peter Montgomery wrote ("Re: Herman Hesse quote", 12 Jun 2003):

> Perhaps my mentionng of the spiritual dimension might embolden
> a lurker or two to get involved. I hope so. I mean, one really
> shouldn't avoid the fact that Eliot did, consciously and
> deliberately, move beyond the waste land.

Okay, I haven't read Eliot's essays on Christianity (but skimmed
"Lambeth" some time ago.)  In the others I've read where Christianity
is mentioned I don't recall Christ being brought up.  Since TSE studied
other religious systems my immediate thought is that Eliot wanted
the rigors of rituals that Anglo-Catholicism gave but wasn't really
tied to Christ.  I'm willing to be set right if anyone wants to give
it a shot.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S. - No good deed goes unpunished.  I wrote a post for Sara and,
before sending it, Nancy's came in with much the same I wrote so I
sent the text to Sara only to spare bandwidth (and it didn't reduce
the posts down one bit.)