Date sent:              Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:35:27 +0100
From:                   George Carless <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: OT: After the Hours
To:                     [log in to unmask]

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Nancy Gish wrote:

> Dear Will,
>
> I am sorry but this is simply not true.  For example, post-traumatic
> stress disorder is not brought on by oneself.  Schizophrenia is not
> brought on by oneself.  Depression can be caused by many events that
> trigger it.

Well, I believe (from talking to my girlfriend, who is a clinical
psychologist) that most people agree that psychological state can
influence a wide range of physiological states, and can bring on or
exacerbate illnesses, 'mental' as well as bodily.. hence the importance of
an approach to treatment that does more than to simply administer drugs
(which isn't to say that such drugs can't have a profound effect).
Nonetheless, there's too much misunderstanding about depression (and
other
mental illness) and one should be very careful to avoid the mentality that
says "what do they have to be unhappy about?  They should just cheer
up."

--George