There may be many "correct" ones, but even on your own criteria, this
means there is no way to know that any one is right.
Cheers,
Nancy

Date sent:              Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:19:01 -0400
From:                   William Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: OT: Eden
To:                     [log in to unmask]

The truth is supra-rational and requires faith. If you think about it long
enough, anyone has presuppositions that they operate upon in the rest of
life. There must be a correct presupposition, right? Enjoy Florida!

Cheers,
Will

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/29/03 01:18PM >>>
In a message dated 6/28/03 9:07:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Peter Montgomery wrote:

>That tends to be a result of the weakness of placing one's faith in
>logic. Even Spock acknowledged the weakness eventually. :)

Huh? Logic is merely a tool, used as much by xtians as by any other
group. I've been an atheist by birthright more than merit for about 60
years, and I've never set up "logic" as the opposite of faith. This
either/or you set up strikes me as a real strawman.

Carrol

I don't think Carol gets the reference; or perhaps he associates the power
of the Federation with the power of America.  In any case, for many years,
Spock adhered to the theory that logic alone should determine which
decision to make or what action to take, and that all conclusions must be
based on logic.  Through experience, he realized that his theory was
flawed; he learned that the best way to live life was with logic combined
with understanding and intuition and awareness. Is Christianity logical?
Hardly.  Why not?  Let's see.  A woman becomes pregnant without having
sexual intercourse (perhaps someone then knew about artificial
insemination)?  Wine is turned into water (sounds great, though)?  A man
is murdered and then comes back to life?  A lot of people living in Europe
and North and South America worship a dead Jewish Israeli man and his
mother, his 12 dead Israeli Jewish friends and a dead Jewish Italian guy?
Logical?  Hardly.  There's certainly a lot of imagination and feeling
involved in Christianity, but I don't believe sufficient logic, not even
for Spock in his later years.

Regards from Paradise Florida,

Kate