Will,

Extraordinary stress and anxiety is a normal part of life and can take a
toll on the immune system resulting in a physical illness.  However, stress
and anxiety does not necessarily lead to depression.  Clinical depression
may be caused by genetics, stress, or some unknown reason; only a
psychiatrist can accurately diagnose clinical depression.

Bob Summers