From: Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 6/29/03 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: Awareness

If that is a genuine question, here is a genuine answer.  Of course they
are
related:  one is aware of something one has perceived.

But "aware" is an adjective, and "perceive" is a verb.  To perceive is
an
act.  To be aware is a state or condition.  One cannot say, for example,
"I
am perceive of the souls of housemaids."  If it is changed to adjectival
form, it quite different:  "I am perceptive of the souls of housemaids."

And one may be aware of what one has not actually perceived, at least by
the senses.  The idea of an awareness of a god does not depend on
perceiving a god.  There is a mental awareness, and that is what the
speaker asserts (presumably it is not a direct sensual perception of the
souls of housemaids), and that is caused by some other form of
perceiving.  But the OED lists perceiving as "becoming aware of" in most
instances--i.e., the act of becoming conscious rather than the state of
consciousness.  It lists both active and passive ways of becoming
conscious.
Nancy