From: Nancy Gish
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 6/29/03 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: Awareness

Dear Sara,

I would have to look at other examples, but in this one it does not mean
either realize or perceive.  It means simply "conscious of."  If you
check
an American dictionary, "conscious" and "cognizant" are given as
synonyms. It does not involve the action of either realize or perceive;
one
simply is cognizant of the presence of. . . .   I cannot imagine a
context in
which it would require perceiving or realizing, except that one must be
aware of something to do either or one must perceive to be aware of.
They
are interconnected, but the consciousness is key.

A person may be "aware" as an adjective in the sense of "alert" or
"watchful," but that would not fit this context.
Cheers,
Nancy