In a review by David Matthews of _Michael Tippett_  (Szanne Robinson,
editor) in the April 25, 2003 issue of the TLS,  Robinson is quoted as
revealing the surprising influence of Eliot on Tippett that moved Tippett
"towards a large-scale statement in which he 'was able to embrace his
isolation as an artist' ".

This large-scale statement culminated in the magnificent oratorio "A Child
of Our Time".  I attended the American premier of this work in Boston with
the BSO.

I am very intrigued about the relationship between Eliot and Tippett.  Was
there any correspondence between them?  Can any list member enlighten me?

Thanks so much,,

Bob Summers