Peter,

  I actually eyeballed the book today and made copies of a few pages. It is
(I was in error) titled _Reflections_, but I am unsure that it is a
translation of a specific book in German. Curiously, the quote in question
is ascribed to (minus the umlaut) _Die Kunst des Mussiggangs_, translated
as The Art of Indolence. _Betrachtung_ is listed in the sources as one that
has not been translated into English.  _Reflections_  is intended as a
collection of aphorisms selected from numerous works, with this opening
remark from the author: "Aphorisms are something like jewels; rarity
increases their value, and they are enjoyable only in small doses."

Many are on the theme of the individual versus the mass mind: "Every human
being is a unique individual. Any attempt to replace the personal
conscience does violence to the individual and is the first step toward
totalitarianism."

I like that one. Do you think TSE's famous remark in the preface to
_Nightwood_ trumps it? (It's famous, but I'm not recalling the word for
word; something like those who stand on individualism and those who
privilege the group "are eaten by the same worm."

This week marks the end of the term here, so I don't expect the book to fly
off the shelf should there be any other info you'd like about it.

Cheers,
  Ken