From the Highway 94 area in St. Charles County 5/23/03

Blue Grosbeak Trail (birders' name it's the 1st left turnoff from 94 south
of Highway 40.)  Matt Andrew reported a male and female BLUE GROSBEAK just
behind the parking lot today.   The female appeared to be carrying nesting
material.   Dick Coles reported seeing 2 males and 1 female BLUE GROSBEAK a
few hundred yards up the trail, but before the fork.    This author saw 1
male BLUE GROSBEAK about 75-100 yards after the fork on the left trail in
open fields on both sides of the trail.   Also on this trail I saw 2 YELLOW
WARBLERS near the fork.  Lots of BELL'S VIREOS near the parking lot and up
to about 300 yards up the trail.

Matt Andrew also reported that after taking the right fork of this trail he
had about 25 BOBOLINKS in a field.

At the Katy trail area I heard 1 PAINTED BUNTING singing for the longest
time in the big cottonwood tree right at the corner of the parking lot but
could not spot the bird.    I also think that there may be another male
painted bunting as I heard another one singing in a tree farther down the
parking lot.   I went back and forth and both birds appeared to be in their
separate trees at the same time.   To be certain of what I was hearing I
played my painted bunting track on the CD a number of times, compared it
with Indigo bunting and house finch and relistened to the bird in the big
cottonwood.   I'm fairly certain that both singing birds were painted
buntings.   Also at the Katy Trail area Dick Coles had another BLUE GROSBEAK
along one of the roads down by the boat ramp.

John Solodar