JoAnn and I were exploring some areas this afternoon where we had not birded
before.  At Bluffwoods C.A. (south of the oxbow lakes south of St. Joseph) we
pulled into the second parking lot off Lewis Road (north of road, heading
east) to try to find a map, and startled a small flock of birds from the
parking lot.  Two remained in the lot - one was a male Indigo Bunting and the
other a male Lazuli Bunting, allowing for a nice comparison between the two.
The Lazuli was transitioning between non-breeding and breeding plumage - his
front was close to breeding plumage, and his back closer to non-breeding
plumage.  Don't know what they were after, but both left, in opposite
directions, after about 10 minutes or so of foraging.  This was about 2:15 pm
on 5/11/03.

Larry Lade's earlier comment about Horseshoe lake being "feast or famine" was
right on this afternoon.  We saw three Black Terns there this afternoon about
3:20pm, but no shorebirds - not even a killdeer.  Nearby Crescent Lake, if I
have the nomenclature correct, did host several Wilson's Phalaropes, quite a
few White-Rumped Sandpipers, and a few of several other species.

Pete & JoAnn Moroz
Lee's Summmit, Jackson Co., MO  64086