From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Robert Fisher
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 7:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Weston Bend Bike Trail

Scott Laurent asks where he should expect different warblers along the
Weston Bend S.P. bike trail, starting clockwise from the beginning.

The first 1/4 mile is especially good because it combines mature forest with
some edge. Expect Acadian Flycatcher, La. Waterthrush and N. Parula. Where
the bridge crosses the stream, listen for two Cerulean Warblers maintaining
territories on either side. This area also often has a good selection of
migrant warblers.

During the next 3/4 miles, there is some low brushy undergrowth, where
Mourning Warblers are often found in migration, especially from now on. I
once heard a Connecticut Warbler near the first bench about a mile in, and
have frequently had Mourning Warbler there. Low undergrowth is also good
habitat for Northern Waterthrush. Late in the season, Canada Warbler likes
these habitats.

The first two miles of the bike trail go through lots of mature forest.
Expect breeding Kentucky Warblers  throughout. A few Black-and-White
Warblers also breed there. Also deep woods birds like Scarlet Tanager and
Wood Thrush.  Expect breeding La. Waterthrush near stream crossings. Expect
migrant warblers of the type that like tall trees (e.g. Blackpoll,
Blackburnian, Tennessee, Nashville and rare birds like Bay-breasted and Cape
May) all along the first 2 miles. Expect warblers that like smaller
understory trees (e.g. Redstart, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated
Green) there too.  Hope for birds that like deep woods (e.g. Oven Bird, and
rarely, Worm-eating or Hooded) there too. Expect Red-eyed, Yellow-throated
and Blue-headed Vireos all along this stretch.

The habitats encountered in the first mile are repeated in the second. I
remember Acadian Flycatcher back there last year. There are some good spots
for Mourning about a mile and a half in.

After about 2.25 miles, the trail opens up into a 3/4 mile stretch of brushy
area back to the parking lot, which is good for breeding Blue-winged
Warblers and Yellow-breasted Chats. Expect White-eyed and Bell's Vireos
along this stretch. Wilson's Warbler likes brushy habitats.

Bear in mind that migrant warblers can be found in a variety of habitats.
For example, Nashville and Orange-crowned Warblers  are often found both
high up in tall trees and low down in brushy areas. The same is true of
Golden-winged, Redstart, Wilson's, Yellow, Black-throated Green, etc. Do not
be too surprised if you find a Tennessee Warbler on the ground somewhere.
Certain warblers (e.g. Cerulean) are usually up high and others (e.g.
Mourning) are down low. But treetop types sometimes come down and low down
types sometimes go up.

One warbler that breeds hereabouts, but which I have not heard about
occurring on the bicycle trail is Prothonatory Warbler. Palm is another that
I have not heard reported there, although I bet it has occurred.

Myrtles are found in all habitats, but the time for them is nearly past.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri