Becky Matthews asks:

How common is it to hear hermit thrushes sing in Missouri?

I have never heard one sing in Missouri. But then, Hermit Thrush is  a
pretty uncommon bird in western Missouri, where I live. If I get one on the
year list, it often is in early spring, or in fall, or even in winter. So my
sample of Hermit Thrushes here at the time of  year when one might expect
them to be singing is very small.

I did see two at Mt. Washington Cemetery in late April this year -- a time
when they might sing. Neither did.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri