We do not have refuges in the Springfield area with shorebird habitat and we are not solidly located in the flyways.  However, usually each year we have an opportunity for a short period of time to spot shorebirds in the area farm ponds.  Finally, after a wild night of thunderstorms the shorebirds landed in several of our area ponds.  One pond on east country road 138 had about 25 Pectoral Sandpipers and 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, One American Avocet in Bailey's pond, and at least 25 Long-billed Dowitchers with numerous yellowlegs and pecs at Horse Pen Pond south of Bailey's Pond.

All things being relative, this is abundant shorebirds for us in Greene County.

Charley
Charles Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon Society
Greene Co.