Friday night I was startled when I walked out my back door and saw an adult Yellow-crowned Night-heron standing in the middle of my back lawn.  I watched it for about 30 minutes hunting worms.  It would stalk through the dandelions, pausing, slowly turning it's head, until whap! it would strike the ground and pull out a long juicy night crawler.  I watched it successfully pull four worms using this method.  I was sure that this was a fluke and a bird which had stopped by on migration.

This morning, "he" was back again, and again hunting worms.  I live about a mile from the Blue River, so it is possible they are nesting down there, but more to my point...  Has anyone ever observed this behavior...Yellow-crowns hunting worms?, especially in anti-habitat such as a lawn?

Roger D. McNeill

KC MO