Stupid question here.  Does " non-breeding" designation happen any time of year? The sparrow I thought was perhaps a clay-colored is identical to the "non-breeding" in the Thayers BIRDS. I believe I have seen this bird many times and dismissed it as a dirty Chipping sp.  It had not much color to distinguish it but was quite light underneath.  Was with a group of Chipping sparrows at the side of gravel road.It had more gray on the face than chipping.Quite small.  Guess I must wait till I see a breeding plumage one. Any answers?
Anne Downin g