I spotted two groups of Bobolinks in the Springfield area this afternoon.   A large flock of Bobolinks landed in an alfalfa field about five miles east of Springfield known to the locals as the Palmetto area.  This is an agricultural area with a significant number of large fields of alfalfa.  I then found a barbed wire fence line that had nine Bobolinks perched on it.  The other group I spotted was about five miles north of Springfield and also in an alfalfa field and there were about thirty Bobolinks perched on a barbed wire fence.  If they fly back into the alfalfa from the fences they disappear and you have to be patient until they come back to a fence or land on the top of the grasses.

It is interesting that the Bobolinks consistently show up in this area within a day or two of May 1, each year.

Charley
Charles Burwick
Greater Ozarks Audubon Society
Greene Co.